Accident and Emergency Derby

One of the things that I've always loved about athletics, aside from the racing and the camaraderie, are the travel opportunities that it allows you. From travelling to the corners of Scotland for international races, to the west coast of Wales for regionals and beyond, I feel like I've been able to go to so many great destinations over the years. However, visiting one of the hospitals in these places was never part of the plan. Nevertheless after my relay accident at the athletics track in Derby, it was off to the Accident and Emergency department for me, to get patched up and check for breakages.

As I got wheelchaired into A and E and checked-in at reception, the sign at the desk said we'd be in for a two and a half hour wait to be seen. But within half an hour I was introduced to a lovely doctor, who not only used to be a middle distance runner herself, but had visited Swansea (so knew where Cardiff was) and knew all about insulin pumps and diabetes. It was like winning the doctors bingo and made me feel at ease straight away, despite being in pain. After having a look at my wounds and adding a couple more to my growing list, the doctor gave me some painkillers, as the shock had completely worn off by which point and I was in agony. Then it was onto x-rays as I had wounds on both knees, my hip, my shoulders, elbow and hands, with the exception of my hip which was just badly cut, the doctor wanted to check that there weren't any breaks amongst them.

Walking was still pretty impossible by the time of my x-rays, so I was wheeled into there and participated in what felt like a lying down version of Twister. As the x-ray person used what looked like giant cheese blocks made of foam, trying to get the right angle to slot in x-ray plates. Fortunately nothing was broken. So then it was onto get my wounds dressed and easily the most painful part of all. What was really nice however, was that the same doctor followed me and saw to me throughout my time at Derby hospital, and she let me do my own blood glucose tests throughout too. Which considering the stress of the situation were all good readings surprisingly.

Although the situation was quite an upsetting and frightening one, one of the moments that I won't forget was when the doctor asked me how long I'd been diabetic for. Because Sunday was my 14 year diaversary (diabetes anniversary), so the day that began in a hospital being diagnosed with diabetes. On the same day 14 years later ended in a hospital too, albeit not for a diabetes related reason. After being patched up with Vasoline dressings and resembling something like the mummy in my bandages we were able to go home. The care that I received in Derby hospital was first class, I was triaged, x-rayed, cleaned up and dressed in what felt like no time at all. For which I was really grateful because I could travel the 3 hours home in a lot less pain than I would have. Wounds and bandages weren't quite the souvenirs I would have hoped for from Derby, but nevertheless that's what I got. A quote that you hear said frequently in athletics comes to mind, that says something along the lines of,

"It's not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up" - Anonymous

Well it's going to be a challenging road to recovery, but I'm determined to get back to athletics and racing as soon as I can. With many thanks to Derby Hospital for picking me back up.


Post a Comment


Meet The Author

My blog takes you through a daily look at sport, diabetes and everything in between. As an athlete that lives with type 1 diabetes I want to let you into news, views and all that is important to both of my passions.

Twitter Updates